Code of Ethics
As the most influential person on the basketball court and in the interest of good sportsmanship and sound educational endeavor, a basketball coach maintaining membership in our organization should:
- Know and abide by the rules of the game and by the guidelines set forth in the league or state handbooks.
- Recognize and reinforce the individual worth of each team member.
- Promote the personal fitness and overall health of each team member.
- Strive to promote an atmosphere where there is a balance between academics and athletics in each team member’s life.
- Establish a positive and open level of communication with parents, the media and the community at large.
- Provide a safe environment for practice and competition.
- Respect the integrity and judgment of the game officials.
- Respect their opponent by providing a warm welcome as hosts, displaying good sportsmanship and gamesmanship throughout the contest and by being modest in victory and gracious in defeat following the contest.
- Strive to build and maintain ethical relationships with other coaches.
- Strive for excellence in coaching skills and techniques through professional growth.
- Encourage through standards of good conduct, direction, and example, the growth and development of leadership, initiative, integrity, fair play, and good judgment in the athletes they coach.
Adopted October 6, 2006; www.bcany.org